Pages

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Microsoft Q# is my choice

Today I am thinking to dig into the real quantum programming after learning the foundation part. There are three big players I was looking at on quantum programming framework/language. I hate to waste my time learning the framework or language itself. I want to focus on so I can focus on solving the problem. I have three choices:
  • IBM, IBM Q
  • Google Cirq
  • Microsoft Q#
It seems IBM Q and Cirq are reusing the Python to provide a framework while Q# is a brand new language. It makes sense IBM and Google use Python as base as it has a good math library. However, I doubt this choice is the best choice. Like the GPU, quantum is special hardware. Cuda is a like C language but it has its own features. For quantum computing, it has a totally different way to compute. Therefore, I think the best way to use a new language, maybe it is just a DSL. C++ can be used to write a functional program, but the best way is still to use a functional programming language. 

Also, the examples from those three companies show a huge difference. Q# provides the best sample pack so far. It has a quantum foundation, matrix computation, and programming language. It will help me a lot to adopt this new stuff. 

The setup and debugging is the last thought. I had tried to step away from Microsoft stack; however, the debugging and the setup needs more time I expected. I was spoiled by double click and just working. 

Anyway, the current Q# shows good progress and the watch, star, and pull request number is bigger than other players. I will continue to focus on the quantum basics, like matrix and math part, anyway. 

No comments: